Merced Irrigation District takes your financial security seriously. Unfortunately, customers of MID sporadically receive contacts from someone claiming to be a representative of the organization. This is done in an effort to gain access to personal and financial information. Such impersonation can come in the form of phone calls, emails or in-person visits. This problem is not unique to MID and affects other utilities and service providers.
What scammers will say and do
- Call and claim that a bill is late and request immediate payment from a debit or credit card to avoid having service disconnected.
- Ask for account information and social security numbers as part of an alleged energy-usage evaluation or suggested sales call.
- Seek account and personal information as part of an alleged electric rebate or discount.
- Send emails that appear to be from a utility with requests for personal and financial information. Scam emails may also include links to fraudulent websites seeking personal and financial information.
MID does not call to solicit payments
Electrical disconnections are a last resort for MID. Customers subject to disconnection are notified by mail of their delinquent status prior to their service being disconnected. MID representatives will not make outgoing calls to our electric or water customers regarding disconnects or outstanding account balances. If you receive a phone call or email from someone seeking any kind of financial payment or financial information, it should be treated as a scam. Hang up or delete the email. A legitimate MID employee will be able to verify the account holder’s name and account number without asking you to read it to them first. MID will never use email to seek payments or personal information from a customer.
What to do if you suspect a scam
If you suspect a phone call, email, or personal visit is fraudulent, remember:
- Never reveal personal information to anyone, including your MID account information, credit card, ATM or calling card number (or PIN number)
- If you are unsure whether you are speaking to an MID Customer Service representative, hang up and call MID at 209-722-3041 for electric inquires; or 209-722-2720 for water inquiries.
It is important to note that MID does occasionally send employees to homes and business.
- All MID employees have company issued photo identification badges.
- MID employees drive white vehicles with blue MID logos visible on the door panels.
- MID employees in the field have official paperwork indicating the service address at which they are supposed to be, the name of the account holder and the proper account number.
Ways to pay your MID bill
- In person at 744 W. 20th Street in Merced. Payments can be placed in our secure drop box or made at the window inside. Office hours are Monday through Friday 7:30 to 4:30.
- Online at www.MercedID.org
- By phone, electric customers can call 209-722-3041. Water customers can call 209-722-2720.